Sunday, November 25, 2012

Simplify the Holidays, Musing and Crafting


Took a little hiatus from blogging.  Busy, busy bee I have been.  So busy, I haven't had time to sit down and share my thoughts.  Sometimes I feel like I am in the circus with all this juggling around I have to do.  Alas, I have a moment and I thought I would share.


This holiday season I decided to take the Simplify the Holidays Pledge. It is that time of year where we all feel the pressure to spend.  We want our friends and family to feel loved and often think the best way of going about that is emptying the bank account and/or going into debt.  Another downside can be the trash cans overflowing with more waste to add to the landfills.  It's time to put more meaning into the holiday season, support the local economy and adopt more regenerative traditions.

I PLEDGED TO:

 

*  GIVE A HANDMADE GIFT
*  CONSIDER LESS GIMMICKY, LESS COMMERCIAL GIFTS
*  CREATE A PAPERLESS HOLIDAY CARD
*  GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY
*  ADOPT A "LESS IS MORE" ATTITUDE
*  SAVE PAPER BY REUSING MATERIALS FOR WRAPPING PAPER
*  PREPARE HOLIDAY MEALS WITH SEASONAL & LOCAL FOODS AVAILABLE


I am very excited to be making Lil Guy's gifts this year.  I have to say, I am a little intimidated and *crossing my fingers* that all will get made in time.  If you haven't checked out " Growing Up Sew Liberated: Handmade Clothes & Projects for Your Creative Child", DO!  You will find so many useful patterns in this book, it can be hard to decide on the first project.  For Christmas I will be making the Lil Amigo Doll, Lil Amigo shirt and overall, and Reversible Hooded Play Cape for my wee one.  Once finished, pictures and thoughts to come.

What I love right now?  KNITTING!!!  You will find tons of crafty classes at the Dry Goods Shop and I recommend any of the knitting classes where Miss Ryan-Ashely is teaching.  Check out her blog Fray Knot.  It has been a superb way of gaining some knitting skills and getting some helpful tips.  Knitting is like my new Facebook.  No idle hands for me. 

Fun stuff coming up?  Later this week I will be hosting a dye gathering and will be sure to be taking photos to share with you. 
Oh the joys of dying!  We will have a pot of simmering natural onion skin dye and will be trying out some of Dharma Trading Co. fabric dyes.  Weather permitting we will even have a fire to gather around after all the crafting fun has subsided.  'Tis the season for hot whiskey cocktails, fire and friends. 

On My Sewing Table:


Fleece Animal Hat for my eldest.
*  Little Amigo, 16" Cloth Doll pattern from, "Growing Up Sew Liberated"; using materials from The Child of Mine.  I have a 12" ball of felted wool so far.  Can it be finished in a few weeks?
* Little Amigo doll clothing from "Growing Up Sew Liberated"; using Nursery Versery, piggies fabric for the shirt and some scrap denim for the overalls.
*  Reversible Hooded Play Cape from, "Growing Up Sew Liberated"; using a silk/hemp blend fabric. Sturdy enough to with stand the force known as Lil Guy.  Will be dying fabric at the dye gathering.

I have a busy week ahead of me.  Catch ya when I can.  Stay craftastik folks!

Don't forget to subscribe if you like what you read.  On the right hand side you will find more options to do so.  Thanks.

Enter your email address:

No comments:

Post a Comment